Do one painting job yourself and you will likely never want to do it again. Painting is not easy and your time is valuable, so it makes sense to hire a painting contractor to do the work for you. It should go without saying that not all painting contractors are the same. There are certain things you should look for when hiring a painting company. Following is are some ideas to help you make the right choice for your next painting project.
- Painting Contractor Referrals - Nothing beats a good referral, so start your research project by asking family, neighbors, and friends about their experiences with various painting contractors, both good and bad. It is just as important to know which painters to avoid as it is to know who is recommended.
- Your Vision - As you search for professional painting contractors, you may find that some have a particular style or specialize in certain types of painting. The goal is to try to match your vision with the right contractor. If you are not yet sure what you want, it is a good idea to browse through some of the painters portfolios for inspiration. Don't be afraid to steal ideas that you love, and transform those ideas into your own dream.
- Licensed and Insured - A respected painter will not be someone who only advertises on Craigslist or puts up hand-made signs next to local liquor stores. It is important to thoroughly investigate the painting contractors you are interested in before hiring one. Determine if they are licensed to do business in your state. Are they bonded and fully insured? Do they have a professional-looking website with examples of their work? These are all important items to research as you look for a professional painting company.
- Rapport - Most people do not put enough emphasis on the rapport they have with their painting contractors. These are people who will be coming in and out of your home or business, and who you will have to work with to settle any minor disputes. Be sure you feel comfortable with the contractor you select and can speak to them with ease.
- Schedule - Discuss the work schedule up front and secure a commitment from the painting company with regards to a completion date. A professional painter will let you know their timetable ahead of time. This refers to their daily work schedule as well as the estimated completion time for the job. While valid delays do happen, it is important that the lines of communication are open at the beginning of the job.
- Warranty - Ask all painting contractors you interview about warranties on their work. The warranty should always be in writing. Also, be sure to take a close look at any exclusions. Exclusions are not necessarily a bad thing, as most warranties have them, but you want to be clear about what is covered and what is not so there are no misunderstandings.
When you finally select a painting company, you will receive a contract that must be carefully reviewed. This is the time to ask questions and get any clarification on issues before moving forward. Be sure the contract is very clear on the following items:
- What is to be painted (walls, trim, molding).
- Any included prep and clean up.
- Paint colors for each area.
- Protection for furniture floors, fixtures.
- Time period for project completion.
- Project cost and payment terms.
Once you have covered all of these bases, you will be ready to get started with your chosen painting contractor so your painting project will be done exactly how you envisioned it would be. Paying close attention to these details will ensure an end result that has saved you time and delivered professional painting results!
Need A Professional Painting Company In Signal Mountain TN?
Painter Ready Has Professional Painting Contractors!
Call For An Estimate At (423) 217-4479!